11.17.2010

If anyone is thirsty...


What does it mean to be "thirsty"? How do you know? What does it feel like? How does your body react? I think we often wait until we are completely dehydrated before we even consider drinking water. And contrary to popular belief, sodas and juices have significant amounts of sugar and so they are not sufficient sources of the 8-10oz of water we are to get on a daily basis. 

How do you know when you are physically dehydrated? Well you experience fatigue, dry mouth and skin, chills, and a host of other symptoms. But symptoms of severe dehydration can include confusion, dim vision, vomiting, seizures, and muscle spasms.

How do you know when you are spiritually dehydrated? 

I was thinking about this earlier today in relation to my own personal relationship with God. I think I can often wait till I am dehydrated, and in my own self-deceit, I am completely unaware of it. I think the symptoms vary, but it will often include some confusion and dim vision, as well as spiritual seizures. Did you know that one of the definitions of "seizure" is an "occurrence, or recurrence of sudden attack from a disease"? In this case, the disease is sin. And each man's "reoccurring" sin is personal and specific to him. How do we overcome this type of dehydration? Maybe a gallon at the bedside? Or as my friend Nick said, "A gospel I.V. drip" ? Perhaps. But inevitably the only way to avoid being dragged away by our own passions and desires is indeed preventative measures. I think Jesus is the answer...and his word provides step by step directions to "prevent dehydration".
 "On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them. Jn 7:37-38
Don't take it lightly...drink up.



Images: 
Naturetech.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment