10.08.2009

Flooded Faith


In a world where so many worries can consume us on a daily basis, I find that its easy to become overwhelmed, resentful, angered and apathetic. You can question your role in society and your ability to successfully contribute to social change and reform. And after exhausting days where your own personal problems and tribulations have completely taken you out, you come to your own self-evident truth: I cannot change the state of the world. People will do as they please, misfortune will overtake some, and bad decisions will overtake others. Therefore, I can and will only look out for me. I am my greatest responsibility. I am my only responsibility.

The problem with this is that it creates a society of self-absorbed, prideful, and narcissistic individuals, which ends up leaving the world in worse state than it began. Can you be responsible for the whole world? Maybe not, but you can be responsible for what you pour into the world. The reason we don't is because we have completely lost faith in faith.

I think that we've come to believe that it is impossible to do anything. Our own strength is not sufficient to change the world and we can't carry burdens that are not our own. The truth is: that's right. As long as this world exists, we
"will always have the poor among us*," and on our own strength, we will be "weary and burdened."
Typhoon Ondoy, also known as Hurricane Ketsana, hit the Philippines 9/26/09. Thousands of acres of crops and produce had been wiped out, 10,000+ homes and businesses were destroyed, children had to be carried on the shoulder of adults who were barely able to keep their heads above water, and 240+ were killed by the typhoon.


Now imagine this: You are 1 of 70 people missing. No one knows where you are, or whether you are dead or alive, no one can account for you. Would you lose faith in faith then....or would you fight and hold on for dear life?

One of my church's sister congregations in Manila, Philippines had over 70 Christians missing and un-accounted for after the typhoon. All that ran through my mind was, "what are they running on? What's keeping them above water?" Our own worries are minute and simplistic, in comparison, yet we have of such little faith.

My question to you is "where has your faith gone and what are you putting your hope in? While you may not be able to conquer the world, you can increase your faith...one mustard seed at a time.
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)
* John12:8

For more on Typhoon Ondoy click here.


"Faith" image from www.virtueradionetwork.com

No comments:

Post a Comment